Senior Wetland Scientist
Central Massachusetts / full-time / ENV-23-00001
BETA’s Environmental Sciences Group of 25+ full time professionals have an immediate opening for a Senior Wetland Scientist to join our rapidly growing Environmental Permitting and Ecological Services team with a variety of exciting natural resources, environmental sciences and engineering/transportation projects in progress. The successful candidate will primarily support BETA’s Massachusetts permitting projects and will report directly to Project Managers in the Worcester office. This candidate may be based out of BETA’s Worcester, Norwood, or Lincoln offices.
- Preparing various environmental science and natural resources technical documents associated with BETA’s civil, traffic, structural and landscape architecture projects;
- Supporting the local, state, and federal permit preparation and review processes;
- Completing resource area delineations including inland and coastal wetland boundary identification and delineation, Special Resources Habitat survey, and NLEB Visual Surveys
- Environmental compliance monitoring;
- Conducting field and desktop identification of sensitive environmental resources;
- Conducting peer reviews for municipal Conservation Commissions, Planning Boards, and Zoning Boards;
- Reviewing project designs to accurately document environmental impacts, identify mitigation opportunities, and document compliance with various local, state, and federal environmental regulations;
- Business development and client coordination; and
- Supporting and mentoring junior staff.
Education and Experience:
- BS or MS in Environmental Science, Policy, Biology, Engineering, or a related field with coursework in biology, hydrology, botany, and soils
- 7 to 10 years relevant experience
- Excellent written communication skills
- Presentation skills and experience
- Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS) certification or the ability to obtain the same and have applied knowledge of state and federal wetland regulatory programs
- Familiarity with GPS field instruments and processes
- Experience coordinating directly with contractors and regulators in field settings including active construction sites
- Excellent time management, and ability to manage multiple assignments
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, ArcMap, PowerPoint etc.) are a must
You will have the opportunity to:
- Play a critical support role in the management of BETA’s Ecological Services Peer Review On-Call Contracts.
- Work closely with industry experts in environmental permitting, wetland science, and climate resilience
- Serve as a subject matter leader in the permitting team to solve problems and complete projects on time and on budget
- Enjoy a mix of office and field time to support projects from field to finish
- Coordinate directly with contractors and regulators in field settings including active construction sites
- Make project decisions regarding technical approach, cost, and meeting project milestone schedules.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans with generous company contributions
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Professional Development
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) -100% Employee-Owned Firm
About the Organization
BETA Group, Inc., a multi-office engineering, landscape architecture, and planning firm, was established in 1982 and has grown to become a regional leader in the fields of transportation/traffic engineering and planning, civil/site engineering, structural engineering, water/wastewater engineering, landscape architecture, urban design, & planning, GIS/asset management, environmental sciences, environmental permitting, and construction services. BETA has offices in Lincoln, RI; Norwood, Worcester, and Chicopee, MA; Hartford, CT; and Manchester, NH; and employs a staff of engineers, scientists, biologists, planners, climate change and resiliency managers, landscape designers, technicians, and construction managers.
BETA is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or any other characteristic protected by law. BETA does not sponsor Visas. Applicants must be eligible for employment in the United States of America.Apply Now