BETA was selected by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) Highway Division for an On-Call Contract to provide design and engineering services for various highway safety improvement projects at high crash locations within the Old Colony Planning Council Region. Services include: crash analyses; preparation of Functional Design Reports and Design Plans; Right-of-Way Plans; and State Highway Layout Alteration Plans. Design and construction of improvements under this contract are to be funded using Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funding.
BETA has received two assignments under this contract. The required improvements for each of these assignments were identified in Road Safety Audits (RSA) completed by BETA in a separate MassDOT Contract. The first assignment is for improvements along Belmont Street (Route 123) in Brockton, MA. Highlights included:
- Installation of traffic signals at the Belmont Street intersection with Linwood Street and Lorraine Avenue
- Modifications to an existing signal at Belmont Street and Memorial Drive.
- Widening of Belmont Street for approximately 2,500 feet.
A second assignment is for improvements at the intersection of Turnpike Street (Route 138) and Foundry Street (Route 106) in Easton, MA. This project is now constructed and includes several measures to improve safety, including:
- Modification of traffic signals to optimize phasing.
- Roadway widening at the intersection to add through and turning lanes.