BETA was retained to implement the requirements of the Stormwater Phase II Final Rule set forth by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in an effort to preserve, protect, and improve the Nation’s water resources from polluted stormwater runoff. EPA has identified six minimum control measures that were addressed in the Phase II National Pollutant Discharge Elimination system (NPDES) program. The six measures are:
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Participation/Involvement
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
- Post-Construction Stormwater Runoff Control
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations
As a way to aid the Town’s compliance with the requirements, BETA has prepared a series of reports and completed field investigations. The Annual Reports detail the progress the Town has made the previous year. A Plan of Action Report was prepared to outline all regulations and provide a time frame to complete necessary tasks.
In addition, BETA has developed a map of all drainage structures in the town and has performed dry weather sampling of outfalls throughout town to discover any illicit connections.