BETA was selected by MassDOT for a statewide sign upgrade on call contract. BETA prepared sign contracts for: Interstate Route 195 from Exit 1 in Seekonk to Exit 11 in Dartmouth, which is approximately 21.8 miles long, and the Lowell Connector from Exit 1 in Chelmsford to Exit 5 in Lowell, which is approximately 2.6 miles long.
Services consisted of the following:
- Conducting field studies
- Producing a photographic inventory of the existing signs
- Designing new overhead and ground-mounted guide signs and their support structures.
- Producing new warning and regulatory sign layouts at the interchanges.
- Developing guide sign layouts using SIGNCad.
- Ensuring conformance with the most recent State and Federal Standards.
The I-195 assignment also included the following:
- Developing diagrammatic guide signs.
- Inspecting the condition and determining suitability for reuse of the sign supports.
- Updating the guide signs.
The Lowell Connector assignment included a solar-powered, flashing warning beacon at eastern terminus in Lowell.